Reelcraft products began as the Equipment Corporation, in Delta, Ohio and supplied hose reels to distributors, who then sold the products under private labels. On June 11, 1943, the assets of Equipment Corporation were acquired by the Wayne Pump Company and moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana. Six years later, following the purchase of the company by C.J. Symington, the Wayne Pump Company merged with the Martin & Schwartz Company from Salisbury, Maryland. Symington combined the field working group and the senior management group of Martin & Schwartz with the Wayne Pump Company name and location. In 1951, poor labor conditions and a strike in Fort Wayne forced Symington to move the Hose Reel Division and the Gasoline Pump Division back to Salisbury, Maryland, leaving the Air Compressor Division as the only product line left in Fort Wayne, Indiana.